Calling all schools! Enter “fir” your chance to “spruce” up your schoolyard
– $20,000 outdoor classroom up for grabs in the fourth annual MAJESTA
Trees of Knowledge Competition –
DIEPPE, NB (September 12, 2013) – With Canadian kids spending an average of nearly eight hours per day in front of a screen1, getting them outside can be tough. To help get kids excited about learning and being outdoors, the MAJESTA Trees of Knowledge Competition is back for its fourth year. From now until January 20, 2014, Canadian schools can enter for their chance to win an outdoor classroom valued at $20,000.
“Schools with outdoor classrooms have seen a significant and lasting impact on their students, teachers and the community, whether it creates an alternative teaching space to learn, a natural environment to help students study or an inspirational space for creative projects,” says Jim Schedler, vice-president of marketing for MAJESTA. “MAJESTA is proud to be a part of this and our ongoing commitment to helping schools bring learning outdoors.”
Canadian schools interested in the competition can apply online at majestatreesofknowledge.ca. From all the submissions, 10 finalist schools will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the strength and sustainability of their plan, how the classroom will positively affect both the school and the community and how the school will rally support for their project. Once the finalists are chosen, Canadians will get four weeks to vote online daily to help their favourite school come out on top and take home the $20,000 outdoor classroom.
“Year after year the MAJESTA Trees of Knowledge Competition brings together communities and Canadians from across the county as they rally support for their favourite school and outdoor classroom concept,” adds Schedler. “We cannot wait to see the unique submissions this year and encourage every school to get involved as it is more than a competition, it is a community project.”
Schools that enter the MAJESTA Trees of Knowledge Competition have a chance to win:
- a $20,000 grand prize consisting of an outdoor classroom from MAJESTA, expert consultations from Tree Canada and outdoor learning curriculum support from Focus on Forests
- secondary prizes consisting of $5,000 for the runner-up, $3,000 for third place, $2,000 for fourth place and $1,000 for all other finalists
- the most creative award consisting of $3,000 for the school who has the most creative idea used to rally support during the voting period.
How to apply:
The Official Rules and submission form can be found at majestatreesofknowledge.ca. To enter, schools must submit a:
- completed application form
- 400 word essay on why their school should be chosen to receive an outdoor classroom
- description and photos of the existing school grounds
- project description and plan for the outdoor classroom
- description of how the school will promote the project during the voting period
- letter of permission from the school board
- two-minute video (optional)
The MAJESTA Trees of Knowledge Competition was launched in 2011 in partnership with Tree Canada and Focus on Forests to help schools take learning outdoors. Since then, Canadians have cast almost 750,000 votes to help three schools bring their own outdoor classroom to life. The winning schools include St. Paul Elementary School (Beaconsfield, QC), Central Elementary School (Swift Current, SK) and Island View School (Saint John, NB).
MAJESTA, the soft and green choice for household paper products, offers an innovative line of e•z flush bathroom tissue that provides the perfect balance of softness and flushability. MAJESTA e•z flush breaks down quickly in water, making it ideal for homes with low flow and dual flush toilets. Learn more at www.majesta.com.